Dr Bogais is a psycho-sociologist, a strategic analyst and a negotiator/advisor. He is a specialist in foreign affairs with over three decades of academic and practical experience working in complex environments. His expertise is in violence, conflict, socio-ethics, information warfare and dynamic modelling. His area of expertise is Southeast Asia with a special focus on Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines and the South China Sea. He has served as a senior analyst, strategic advisor, negotiator - and has had ongoing involvement in strategic assessments, conflict resolution initiatives, front-line negotiations and international missions. Applying complex systems to strategic analysis and decision-making/taking, he has a considerable experience in building networks that can identify and manage uncertainty/instability to introduce change over time. He designs dynamic models and develop programs experimentation and simulations, especially in the areas of network recruitment. He is the co-founder of SARN, Strategic Assessment Research Network.
He was awarded a Master in Social & Intercultural Psychology in 1978 and a PhD in Sociology in 1984, both from Paris-Sorbonne. He practises from Sydney, Bangkok and Paris.
Associate Professor (adjunct) - School of Social and Political Sciences, the University of Sydney, Australia. Professor Bogais is a specialist lecturer and an accredited research supervisor.
Senior Research Fellow - German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Good Governance and Policy, Faculty of Law, Thammasat University, Bangkok. CPG is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office and supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Other international appointments include
- Senior Associate and Expert Adviser - Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Southeast Asia Program, Washington DC, U.S.
- Expert (Non-resident) - Middle East Institute - Middle East - Asia Project, Washington DC, U.S. (MEI/MAP)
- (Past) Expert on Southeast Asia - Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB) - WZB Berlin Social Science Center, Berlin
- (Past) Visiting Fellow - Institut de Hautes Études Internationales et du Dévelopment - Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva
Dr Bogais, together with Dr Reay Atkinson, prepared a White Paper on the social and ethical impact of digital transformation for data centres around the world. Commissioned by DCD Intelligence Unit / DCD Global (Data Centres Dynamics), the White Paper now released is titled "A Critical Juncture - DC Dynamics or DC Stasism: To Be or Not To Be?" - Feb 2018. Details…
Live analysis: CNBC
27 Nov 2017 - As Pope Francis visits Myanmar and the Western community is losing credibility and ground in Myanmar, Dr Bogais explains why China is key to the solution… Link
Submission №6 out of 13 before the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and trade - Australia (link)
" Inquiry into the benefits and risks of a Bipartisan Australian Defence Agreement, as a basis of planning for, and funding of Australian Defence capability."
Paper/Submission co-authored by Dr Simon Reay Atkinson & Dr Jean Jonathan Bogais (link to submission) - Oct-2017
Invited participation and Chair: International Seminar…"A Hotbed for Crises: Increasing Stakes and Tension in the South China Sea". Organised and hosted by the Southeast Asian Centre for Excellence in Governance and Policy (CPG) at Thammasat University, Bangkok.
15 June 2017
Senior military officers, diplomats, Thai officials, ASEAN officials, academics, (I)NGO representatives from all parties involved in the "crisis" met for one day to discuss the situation. A robust debate, but also an eye opener……
* March 2018 - Invited presentation. Conference: "10th Annual Future of Security 2018, Sydney". Presentation: "Rethinking the Security Wall - Connecting the Dots Between Defence and Access." Link
* March 2018 - Pilot course for FAA (Fleet Air Arm), RAN (Royal Australian Navy). Second pilot program exploring new thinking and teaching SocioEthics within System Innovation.
* March 2018 - Invited participation / presentation at the NTS-Asia Consortium Conference on "Resilience in the Face of Disruption" — Session: "Disruption and Cyber Technology". Organised by NTS (Non-Traditional Security) Asia Consortium and S.Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS). Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Recent essays and articles
______________________________________ Enemies of Truth:
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." Friedrich Nietzsche - Human, all Too Human.